THIS IS A ONE DAY WORKSHOP: Tuesday, April 12, 2022
Cyanotype & Encaustic Fusion
Venue: Veteran’s Memorial Building, 595 Harbor St, Morro Bay, CA 93442
In this class, students will create cyanotype prints using a camera-less photography method; harnessing the sun to produce deep blue images. These prints will be used as the basis for encaustic mix-media works with layers, texture and translucency.
Students will learn three techniques for cyanotype printing - how to use photographic negatives, illustrations and botanical photograms. We will experiment with different types of papers and discuss toning methods to alter the color. No previous experience is needed for this class. Students will create nine cyanotype prints and leave with two encaustic panels. Demonstrations will include simple studio set-up. The instructor will provide take-home instructions for further exploration.
Students need to bring:
• Black and white images printed on regular copy paper A high contrast photocopy of photograph (either inkjet or laser).
• Two 8x10” boards (wood, Encausticbord) for encaustic work
• (Optional) Any special pan pastel colors, India ink, or oil sticks. White and gold materials will be provided as part of the course.
• (Optional) Extra materials for photograms such as lace, stencils, interesting small, shaped objects from nature.
Teacher & Retreat will provide:
• Light Sensitive Materials
• Exposure frames
• Rinsing boxes
• Markers, white & gold India ink, pan pastels and watercolors for finishing details
• Each student will receive: 10 sheets of cyanotype paper & 1 sheet of acetate for image transfer